Monday, November 11, 2013

What's new?

As some of you already know H and I have been trying to get pregnant for a couple of years.  We had a very early miscarriage last December, 2012.  We finally decided to visit Conceptions, a fertility center in Denver.  After several tests, we have finally discovered why we have not gotten pregnant!  This may seem surprising, but it was a relief to finally have some answers.  My left fallopian tube is completely blocked and my right one is almost fully blocked.  I have what is called Hydrosalpinx.  This means my fallopian tubes are blocked and distended and filled with a watery, clear liquid.  You could also refer to the liquid as toxic pond water.  It does not create symptoms for me, just the inability to house a baby if one were to be conceived.  How does this happen?  At one point in my life I may have had a pelvic infection and never knew.  This is not uncommon. Many women do not have symptoms and never know they have it unless they are doing fertility tests.  

So what's next?  This leaves IVF.  The problem is, the chances of IVF being successful with Hydrosalpinx is very small.  It would leave me at risk for an ectopic prenancy or another miscarriage.  Of course we do not want that.  So now what you may ask:)?

Surgery!  I am having surgery at the beginning of December to remove my fallopian tubes. This is not a bad thing!  They are never going to make a healthy baby so why have them.... Once the surgery is over and I have a couple weeks of recovery, I will then begin our IVF process.  Yes, IVF!! The chances of IVF being successful increases dramatically after the tubes (Hydrosalpinx) are removed.  My body is perfectly healthy otherwise and would then love to create a home for a baby.  We have over a 75% chance of having a healthy pregnancy with IVF.  I am the "perfect" candidate you could say! 

So why am I sharing all of this information with all of you?  Many reasons.  I have learned throughout this process that there are so many women experiencing the same versions of what H and I are.  I want to be open and share our experiences so other women can feel that they are not alone.  Also I love all of you and it is easier to have all of this information in one location than me telling the same story 30 times:)   

So I will keep updating my blog with our process as well as other fun and exciting information!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment